7/03/2024

Theories of representation


Theories of representation

There are three approaches of representation:
Reflective approach
Intentional approach
Constructionist approach



1) In reflective approach,meaning is thought to lie in the object,person,idea or even in the real world.In this approach,language works by simply reflecting or imitating the truth that is already there and fixed in the world ,is sometimes called “mimetic”.



2) The second approach to meaning in the representation argues the oppsite case.
It holds that it is the speaker,the author,who impose his or her unique meaning on the world throuth language.Words mean what the auther intends they should mean.This is intentional approach.

3) The third approach recognises this public,social character of language.It acknowledges that neither things in themselves nor the individual users of language can fix meaning in language.Thing don’t mean:we construct meaning ,using representational systems _concepts and signs.Hence it is callaed the constructivist or constructionist approach to meaning in language.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you vry much for this post.
I do know exactly about different representation.

komsy@mac.com said...

hello I know this is slightly unrelated but I also have a similar topic I was hoping you might want to discuss. Please read ahead or visit my blog
http://culture-representation.blogspot.com/

I am a Design student at Central saint martins who is currently writing my dissertation on the representation of foreign cultures in Britain. I am basing my research on the representation of Asian cultures (mainly india) and trying to determine how realistically the Indian culture is represented in Britain. Is what we know about India a true description of the culture and lifestyle there or is it just a unrealistic and idolised representation based on our preconceptions and stereotype? Even if stereotypes are utalised for the purpose of mass communication and as a tool to easily convey a message, how does this reflect on the culture as a whole?

'..what it is to be an Indian...Such inquires in the past have been handicapped by two factors. The first is the stereotype through which foreigners see India. The second is the self-image that Indians seek to project..' (P Varma, being Indian:Inside the real India p1)


I am currently exploring the fascination with bollywood movies, fashion and India's influences on art and design to base my argument around. I would like to locate designers/ artists/ photographers that deal with culture, representation or stereotype and would like to hear what they have to say about it. I would love to hear about your work and how your culture has effected your personal style or subject matter.Please tell me about your ethnicity. were you born in Britain and what do you know about the indian culture? or what about your own cultural background and the way it is represented in foreign countries? Is there any arguments or topic you think could be helpful to my research? EVEN IF YOU ARE ARE NOT WITHIN THE DESIGN FIELD, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.